Tuesday, October 16, 2007

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON


I loved this movie when I was a kid. The special effects are crude by today's standards, but this was the perfect Saturday matinée. You bought Flicks at the snack bar, and parted those heavy velvet drapes and plunged into the darkness of deep space. You navigated to your seat using the glow-in-the-dark wall clock ("Dean's Rexall Drugs") to get your bearings. The floor was sticky with spilled Cokes and smashed jujubes. People threw Milk Duds as you crossed. Laughter. The show begins! Filmed in Dynamation! In spite of the cheesy ant people costumes, you will never look at the Moon the same way again. Thanks, Ray Harryhausen.

2 comments:

--MC said...

You nailed it Bob. I wish I had a tube of Flicks right now.

Bob Rini said...

Flicks were great! I can still see the shiny metallic cylinder in my mind's eye. After the chocolate kisses were gone, the tube made a fine horn.